Friday, May 11, 2007

First Visit To The Library

I lied. We brought Cairo to the library more than a month ago and got her her own library card then. All the friendly librarian asked for was her birth certificate number and my IC. No fees, no photocopy of this or that needed, no waiting 3 weeks for the card to be mailed to us. Fantastic service!

We let her borrow 2 flimsy kiddy books (what was I thinking?), one of which she torn soon after we reached home. Her Daddy, not wanting me to scold Cairo (he knows how upset I get when somebody spoils a book) quickly mended it in a hush hush manner and I only found out about it much later. Well, he shouldn't have. Book mending was not one of his stronger skills.

We have since returned the books and are now living in fear that we would be banned from the library soon.

This morning I had this head-splitting migraine (which robbed me off much sleep the whole night) and decided to play truant. After seeing the doctor and getting my dose of medicine for the headache and insomnia, I decided to bring Cairo to the library (well too sick to churn out reports at work but well enough for R&R in a quiet library, OK?). After all, it should be pretty empty on a working day. Wrong. Soooo many SAHMs were there with their kids (envy, envy!) Anyway, still way emptier than weekends.

This time round, Cairo actually had room to run around without being knocked over by older kids and to explore the toddler book bins at her own pace. As you can see, I managed to take some photos of her there and that alone should give you an idea exactly how not crowded the library was. Imagine trying to do that with hordes of kiddies and parents all over the place, hah, mission impossible! The last time we tried to get her on the yacht-shaped reading corner, we had to fight for a seat as though it was a saving boat when the Titanic sank!



Now why did I say it's Cairo's FIRST visit to the library instead of second? Simple explanation. I didn't bring my camera the first time round and it seems sooo uneventful to scrap about her SECOND visit to the library :p

11 comments:

jaslym said...

Such a good service can found from there! How come my place here dont have?? Where can i get a kids library? So jealous with you. Poor hayward!

Lian said...

I love children's libraries. Yeah, have to be careful with the books though. I kena fined a few times too. I know your fear of being blacklisted.

cairo's mommy said...

welcome, jaslym and lian :D

hehe, one thing i like about spore is dat they made each estate v self sufficient, kinda decently equipted and affordable to the public.

but d 2 times dat i brought cairo there were v stressful for me cos i had to watch her like a hawk. mana tahu she go and rip up some books ke, die die

jazzmint said...

wah so syiok got children's library...sighh.....

she seems pretty comfy there :)

cairo's mommy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
cairo's mommy said...

the kiddies' library is actually a portion (about 1800 sq ft i think)of our neighbourhood library . it's situated in the shopping complex at our mrt station. they have story telling sessions too but i didn't stick around for it la :p

Mama Tang said...

wah! The kids library like not bad. Where's the 1 that you went? Think it's a very gd environment.

peimun & kendra said...

The library looks nice ler. hey, where did u stay? My bro stay at Tanah Merah.....izzit nearby your house? If yes, maybe I can pay you a visit on my next trip to S'pore.

cairo's mommy said...

hi mama tang:

the library is at sun plaza @ sembawang mrt. i like the environment there too. maybe its cos sembawang is a relatively new town w lots of babies n kids...

peimun:

hehehe, tanah merah is pretty far from my place. sembawang is at the north (nearer to jb customs checkpoint) and tm is at the east (nearer to airport) though both are not exactly walking distance to the specified landmark either :p

we can meet in town (orchard) if u drop by spore next time :D the national library main branch (in town but not at orchard) is wayyyy more impressive :p

Cheryl Leong said...

I've been to the library and still impressed by their facilities that provided. How I wish the library in KL will be like tat. Then, who will not hang out there, rite?

chinneeq said...

wow....nice library :)