Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Injured at Work


Very bad luck this few days. I tripped over the company printer's cable and sprained my ankle just before lunch yesterday. The cable was taped to the floor but the tape got loosen over time. Well, can't expect much from a site office. Though I do wonder if I am eligible for Workmen Compensation, hehehe.

Based on my vast experience of sprained ankles, this one is but a mere 4 on a scale of 1 to 10. Meaning to say, with proper care, it will recover on it's own in a week or so. Proper care here means I have to apply plenty of medical oil + spray + correct massage technique. Lucky for me, my mom is DARN good at massaging! She could've gone into business, she could!

A note to all parents; please take good care of your kids, cos once you pop it, the ankle would be super easy to sprain again and again, year in year out! Living example here. Unless you're good at treating them (the injured ankle, not the kids), like my mom is, then do as you deem fit :p

The photo above shows the kinda stuff I am using now. The bottle of oil with a Horse on it is from Thailand. My aunts won't go anywhere without a bottle tucked safely in the luggage.

The 2 more modern looking cans of sprays next to the oil are from China, courtesy of my moms' very good buddy cum ex-neighbour (thanks AGAIN, Fung Jeh) :D I spray them on my ankle (a very convenient method and suitable for application at office too) every 2 hours or so (I can't read the instructions on the box, so base on gut instinct la :p) and I could walk again this morning (it got worse yesterday night cos I didn't treat it IMMEDIATELY when I got home, not to mention that one hour of standing in the bus from office to home!)

Anyway, I hate going to the Sinseh's here cos I have yet to find one to rival my childhood favourite joint, "Yu Yat Lum" @ Pudu, KL. I think that guy has most probably retired by now...

Anyway, the huge downpour outside quickly helped me to make up my mind to stay at home today even though I'm all bathed and dressed. I do not fancy my medicated ankle to be in contact with jeans or socks soaked in rain water, yucks! And I absolutely hate the feeling of wet slippers, double yuck! MC it is!

Not that I wanna take MC so often but I only have a total of 7 days' leave per annum (yeah, and we're one of the big boys in construction industry! Go figure!) So all you HRs out there, you might wanna consider dishing out more leaves (21 seems more humane) cos honestly speaking, I wouldn't mind saving the company some money by not going to the doc when I can self medicate. But no way am I going to sacrifice the precious 7 or take unpaid leave when I got injured at work!

Now, the next predicament. Do I go to my GP and get an MC for this? They certainly don't recognise the MCs from Sinsehs.... :p

6 comments:

jazzmint said...

aiyo, u do take care...get few more days MC lah...

Cheryl Leong said...

hmm, if u sprained ur ankle, better dun walk or stand too much lar. So, today u sit in front of pc n scrap ?

I wish I can take mc but can't risk it. Already taken last month...

Zara's Mama said...

Go to GP to take MC.. they'll understand.

Yeah.. I believe we have to take care of our joints too. When I was young.. within 3, 4 years, I have sprained my ankles 4 times, and elbow twice.

And then when I started working, I also sprained my ankle very often.. so now have to wear flats 100% of the time.

Lovely Mummy said...

do take care and rest more....

jaslym said...

While i look at d pictures oh so familiar leh, my mum also introduce these 2 bottles spray to me, its works! When my mum heard u injured leg she quickly recommend her spray to u. U lucky lor! Hehehe!

cairo's mommy said...

dear all, thanks for the well wishes. i told d doc straight in d face dat the reason i am seeing him is for the mc, hahaha! he said still swollen n gave me two days off :D

gave me muscle relaxant pills but i think i the chinese stuff will do la :p