Saturday, June 30, 2007

When Nobody Wanna Entertain Cairo...

Cairo's favourite two packs of flash cards

We enjoy spending time with Cairo. However, there are times when Grandma, Daddy and I tend to crave some personal time where we could just curl up with a book (me), catch up on newspaper reading (grandma) or play dead in front of the TV (daddy) WITHOUT CAIRO AROUND. Or even hear her voice.

It just so happens that all 3 of us felt that way today. Since everyone else had a more superior reason (Grandma looked really tired & Daddy just got his bonus, so he's playing King for the weekend), I got the 'Cairo Duty'. Bummer!

I was looking daggers at my own flesh and blood and about to put my book back onto the shelf until I came up with a superb idea.

I threw 2 packs of animal flash cards (her favourite) on the floor, about 1.5 metre away from my bed. Then I did this:

Me: Cairo, find a BEE for mommy.

Cairo: BEEEE!!!

She'd rush over to look for the needle in the haystack... errr, I meant card. I'd also usually say the name of an animal that is partially hidden from view, hehehe. About a minute or so later, she would waive the card in front of me (the correct one, most of the time) while saying the animal's name excitedly, though her pronunciation is still pretty atrocious. I must then praise her and then throw her another animal name to hunt for.

That way, I got to lie in bed and only needed to look up from my book every few minutes, hehehe. While Cairo got some exercise running between my bed and the pile. I was hoping she would get tired real quick and fall asleep sooner cos we're going for a picnic at the reservoir (again) early tomorrow morning, you see.

I feel guilty about playing this "Fetch" game with Cairo as though she is a little puppy but I can't help it. The spirit is not willing and the flesh is even weaker (from all the grocery shopping and preparation of the picnic food would be my guess)...

Do you ever feel that way towards your kid(s)?

8 comments:

Mummy to QiQi said...

waiting to see yur photos from picnic!

jazzmint said...

wah picnic again!!!

Just Cheryl said...

I do that too with my small niece when I have to do babysitting - her fav's boggle for now or I'll ask her to build something with lego blocks or dress up her paper dolls... muahaha or I put on her fav videos - Hi-5

Hope to meet cutie Cairo in person when u r back :-)

Big Pumpkin said...

Trust me, I'm sure there are LOTS of parents out there who just DON'T feel like entertaining a toddler some days. I get these OFF days maybe 4 times a month? But I don't have a maid so it's more tiring.....also, the Hubs takes over weekend duty - YAY!!! I'm waiting for the day she can read on her own, then I can overload her with books that she can read to herself. Then we just need to answer some questions every now and then (I HOPE!). Currently, jogsaw puzzles seem to quieten her for a bit.

Health Freak Mommy said...

Dont worry, u r not the only one who feels this way. Sometimes I feel so guilty when my gals beg me to read bedtime stories to them but i just cant muster the enthusiasm and energy to read to them. So i just hurriedly read a few pages of their fav books with my eyelids already drooping and quickly sent them to bed.

Cheryl Leong said...

wah... you really can think of anything to keep cairo busy. Anyway, I will jsut let my nieces & newphews sit in front of the pc while I do other things or just let them watch their favourite cartoon (tat will be in KK)...

twin said...

she's such a cutie. :)

Blur Mommy said...

*guilty* For me, other than my hubby, I dun have anyone else that can help me watch my gal even for an hour. So when I want some ME time, I have to get creative & find something for her to do : )