Sunday, July 01, 2007

Tag: SAHM or FTWM?

I have been thinking about this a lot even before I first saw the tag being passed around. So when I saw it I was like "Tag me, tag me! I wanna do it", while waving arms in air like some lunatic :p

I think I'll tackle it a little differently than the way my buddies who tagged me, Cheryl and Jazzmint, did their's (thank you both, by the way, hehehe). Let me reason out both before I make my decision, yeah?

I wanna be a Stay at Home Mom (SAHM) cos:
  • I get to be with Cairo 24/7!
  • Would consider having "another one" since I am already at home anyway :p
  • I would have more control over the way Cairo is brought up (less TV, more educational type of playing, perhaps introduce more languages to her eg Malay...)
  • More freedom to do the stuff I need to do, as and when I need them to be done. My industry's still pretty old fashion whereby working from home or even flexi hours is not an option at all... hence I'm always taking annual leave for running errants, babysitting etc instead of taking them en bloc for a long holiday or break!
  • Can have more time to do my housework consistently instead of the periodic cleaning frenzy (using toothbrush!) I get into whenever I have some "free time" nowadays.

I wanna be a Full Time Working Mom (FTWM) cos:
  • I get to be with Cairo 24/7, otherwise!
  • I have unquestionable buying power for whatever stuff hubby doesn't deem necessary (but I like em and I must have em)!
  • I get to talk shop with hubby (he loves it!) and friends / ex colleagues rather than just what's today's price for pork and broccoli, his only other favourite topic (just kidding :p).
  • Too much time on my hands for shopping and hunting of courses for Cairo but without a fortune to back it up... sounds like a big disaster in the making already
  • I am already a very low maintenance creature since after my wedding, can't imagine what will happen to me if I don't have to "see" people anymore.
To be honest, I wanna have my cake and eat it too, so I wanna be a Part Time Working Mom (PTWM, say 3 days a week, no more than 8 hours a day and hopefully no drastic pay cut hahaha).

Craving to do all the exciting stuff that SAHMs do, yet not quite willing to forsake my few hours a day where I get to talk with people who speaks more than 5 words in each sentences. And the money of course!!!

OK, done. Now the boring stuff... the rules :p

*****Instructions*****

  1. If you are given a choice, SAHM or FTWM? Give at least 3 reasons.
  2. Include your name in the thread below
  3. Tag 3 person

List:

  1. Immomsdaughter prefers to be a SAHM
  2. Miche prefers to be a SAHM.
  3. Msau prefers to be a PTWM.
  4. Everydayhealy prefers to be a SAHM.
  5. Jazzmint prefers FTWM.
  6. Cheryl prefers to be a FTWM but will consider SAHM.
  7. Mom of Cairo prefers to be a PTWM.

3 persons to tag:

Alternative Mom
The New Parent (just tweak the title a little :p)
Jean's Diary

8 comments:

khongfamily said...

PTWM? Do more PPP lor. :-)

Cheryl Leong said...

hmm, it never occurs to me there's Part time working mummy... maybe I should consider that when hubby is rich enough to give me 2k allowance :p

Just Cheryl said...

I like ur post leh ... PTWM is the best solution ;-)

The New Parent said...

Hi CM--ok, I'll really have to tweak this a bit (laugh)! Though I have always wondered what being a SAHM was like (but the guy part gets in the way).

Anggie's journel said...

yah... There's always prons and cons on SAHM or FTWM ... PTWM is the best !!

jean said...

Hi WJ, I will do this asap ya :)

mommy of 2 angels said...

ya if i have a choice i wanna be a PTWM...best of both worlds

Malaika's mummy said...

Totally agree. I would like to be a PTWM, but just not possible. It is really the best of both worlds.